Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Updates

There is a reason that my blog has not been updated since September 2007. That was the month I was found to have advanced melanoma. Two major surgeries, immune treatments, chemotherapy and radiation treatments "kind of" dominated my time and energy. Unfortunately, the cancer continues to spread and I am now receiving the last of the possible immune treatments available for this hideous form of skin cancer. I painted very little, because I just couldn't. Luckily I had completed all my 2008 show entries before I lost my ability to paint......and God smiled when in the last competition of the year....in the biggest of shows, I earned a first place (below: "Into The Wind" - 2" x 3" oil on ivorine) I also had a significant number completed so that my galleries did well and, with my family members setting up, had four very successful outdoor shows....and a busy Christmas gift commission agenda. I am painting again, but at much reduced rate....enough to lift my spirits in this very somber time for myself and my wife.

First Place
2009 MASF (Miniature Art Society of Florida)
"Into The Wind"
2" x 3" oil on ivorine
Here's some statistics on the MASF award. Average entries submitted: 1200 pieces from 300 artists. 75% of the works jury in. 85% of artists get something in. 25% of artists get all 5 of their entries in.
Jurying is accomplished by 5 person jury over a 3 - 4 day period. First screening acceptances; awarding by mediums(9 catagories); awarding by subject(13 catagories), awarding specials(6 catagories). Basically there are 62 awards, with 28 being "First"/"Best".
My history with MASF: 2005(2 entered/rejected). This began my quest in CY 2005/6 to find out what was needed to compete. In the 2007 show I had 1 out of 5 accepted, all were 4" x 6" and my 1 entry sold. In the 2008 Show I had 4 of 5 accepted, and 3 sold. These were NOW 2" x 3"! The rejection was a frame problem I missed. 2009......WELL!!!!!


"Entering Annapolis"
4" x 6" oil on polymin
[MASF Entry]
My personal favorite. Entered in 2 shows but didn't sell, however, I did sell this from my home soon thereafter.



"Corks Galore"
2" x 3" oil on polymin
[MASF Entry]



"Orange Burst"
2" x 3" oil on polymin
[MASF Entry]

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Mr. & Mrs. Labyak,
You both remain in my thoughts and prayers daily.
Sandra Pennecke